This super recipe for mini zucchini slice, or zucchini bites is from my daughter’s kindergarten.The kindy recently had a baking lesson at school. One of the lovely mums, Katrina supplied this recipe and stayed for the day to help the kids bake.
Cooking with kids is such a great way to get them involved in basic maths, encouraging them to understand what they are eating and ending up with an edible result!!
I made this batch at home, simply substituting the wheat flour with Well & Good Gluten Free Self Raising flour – the result was excellent making it a great gluten free option for school lunches and parties.
- 1 Tbspn olive oil
- 3 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- ¼ cup cream or sour cream
- ½ cup Well & Good Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease mini muffin tin with butter and oil. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on high. Saute bacon & onion for 4/5 mins until the onion is tender. Add carrot, continue cooking for another 2-3 mins. Stir in the zucchini and transfer all to a large bowl. Allow to cool for 10 mins.
- In another bowl or jug, whisk together egg, cheese and cream. Season to taste.
- Stir egg mixture into the cooled zucchini mix. Stir in flour until well combined. Spoon mixture into prepared pans. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden.