Have you ever had an ingredient that needs using, you know, something that has been kicking around for ages and the best before date is looming? Recently, my fridge gifted me with a pack of cream cheese – best before date so close. What to do with cream cheese? I considered gluten free chicken pie, but the obvious answer was cream cheese icing! Luckily, in my cupboard was a pack of Well & Good All Purpose Cake Mix. This mix is super versatile and is free from gluten, wheat, dairy, nut, soy and fructose. A very handy addition to a cupboard!
Following the recipe on the pack, I created this gorgeous Gluten Free Carrot Cake. The cake baking, has a gorgeous light spice smell and the final product is moist and delicious, even the next day. A light sprinkling of lavender flowers over the icing to make it look pretty and tah-dah! Gluten free goodness that is great to share or to keep all for yourself…
- 1 packet (450g) All Purpose Cake Mix.
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) of oil
- ½ cup (125ml) of water
- 1 grated carrot
- Preheat your oven to 175°C (160°C fan forced)
- Grease a 23cm x 7cm round cake tin.
- In a large bowl combine All Purpose cake mix, water, eggs, and oil, mix well until all ingredients are smooth.
- Fold grated carrot into the batter and pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Set to bake for 55-65 minutes – mine was ready at 55 mins.
- Rest for 5 minutes in the cake tin, place on a wire rack till cool.
Cream Cheese Icing
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 2 Tblsp Soft Margarine
- 250g Cream Cheese
Mix all ingredients with hand mixer for 1 minute, or until smooth and creamy. Apply to cake when cook using a broad knife, spread evenly.